On Fri, 5 Jun 2020 22:19:08 -0400, Phil Staub wrote:
>> Just for testing purpose install spacefm/spacefm-gtk3. It's a very
>> customizable file browser that doesn't have a dependency to GNOMEish
>> bloatware helpers such as gvfs.
>>
>>    sudo apt update
>>    sudo apt install spacefm-gtk3
>>
>> Do you experience the same delay issue when using spacefm?
>
>Interesting. No delay using spacefm. It should be noted that although
>I installed spacefm-gtk3, I only found spacefm executable.

Hi Phil,

that's correct, the executable is always named 'spacefm', the packages
just provide a version compiled against gtk2 and another compiled
against gtk3.

>> You can remove spacefm by running
>>
>>    sudo apt purge spacefm-gtk3
>
>For the time being, I'll leave it installed, but it WOULD be good to
>know what causes the delay with Thunar and Nemo.

GVFS is still a possible culprit. For testing purpose you could install an
empty dummy package, so you don't break hard dependencies against gvfs, but
you could test, if running Thunar or Nemo doesn't suffer from a delay anymore.

Build and install a dummy package and remove gvfs dependencies:

$ sudo apt update && sudo apt install equivs
$ mkdir dummy-package
$ cd dummy-package/
$ echo "Package: gvfs" > gvfs
$ echo "Version: 2020:06-06-test" >> gvfs
$ echo "Maintainer: Phil Staub <p...@staub.us>" >> gvfs
$ echo "Architecture: all" >> gvfs
$ echo "Description: Dummy package" >> gvfs
$ equivs-build gvfs
$ sudo apt install ./gvfs_06-06-test_all.deb
$ sudo apt remove gvfs-common gvfs-daemons gvfs-libs

You can downgrade to gvfs, IOW reinstall gvfs from Ubuntu repositories and
install it's dependencies by running:

$ sudo apt update && sudo apt install gvfs=$(apt-cache show gvfs | grep
Version:\ 1 | head -1 | cut -d" " -f2)

Regards,
Ralf