More SABC commercial staff to be suspended

Chantelle Benjamin, Business Day, Johannesburg, 1 March 2010
AT LEAST three senior staff of the South African Broadcasting
Corporation’s (SABC’s) commercial enterprises division are expected to
be suspended in the next two weeks, after the division’s head, Gab
Mampone, was suspended last week.
Mampone was acting CEO of the SABC until Solly Mokoetle took office
this year.
A source close to management at the SABC said yesterday a probe was
under way into the division, and more suspensions were expected. “Tens
of millions of rand” had been lost through poor management of the
division, the source said. The investigation, which is expected to lead
to criminal action, may involve organisations outside the SABC.
Mampone’s suspension and the present investigation are based on several
internal audit reports into deals by the sales department.
The reports are said to have revealed financial mismanagement, raised
questions about whether deals had been made in the SABC’s best
interests, and suggested misuse of SABC facilities.
Mampone allegedly failed to act on these reports and did not take
action against senior staff, thus contributing to the SABC’s losses. He
is also being probed for financial mismanagement.
On Wednesday, Mampone was invited to make representations on why he
should not be suspended. On Friday the board decided to suspend him
pending the outcome of the probe. Spokesman Kaizer Kganyago said the
SABC had issued a statement on Mampone’s suspension and would not
comment further.
In a bid to rid the SABC of corruption, the board has asked the
auditor-general to complete a report into the organisation.
Meanwhile, Limpopo businessmen claim an SABC board member told the news
department to ignore a protest march against corruption in that
province.
The Sunday Independent reported the Forum of Limpopo Entrepreneurs as
saying African National Congress Youth League (ANCYL) leader Julius
Malema threatened the group on radio before a march to the premier’s
office. The forum claimed board member Clifford Motsepe told the
department to ignore the march.
Kganyago said that board members are not involved in editorial
decisions.
ANCYL spokesman Floyd Shivambu said it was “bad journalism” to ask his
organisation to respond to the allegation of censorship.
[email protected]
From: http://www.businessday.co.za/Articles/Content.aspx?id=94912


--
Posted By DomzaNet to Communist University on 3/01/2010 07:05:00 AM

-- 
You are subscribed. This footer can help you.
Please POST your comments to [email protected] or reply to this 
message.
You can visit the group WEB SITE at 
http://groups.google.com/group/yclsa-eom-forum for different delivery options, 
pages, files and membership.
To UNSUBSCRIBE, please email [email protected] . You 
don't have to put anything in the "Subject:" field. You don't have to put 
anything in the message part. All you have to do is to send an e-mail to this 
address (repeat): [email protected] .

Reply via email to