Gary,

I setup my eclipse IDE to be using 0.9 plug-in and couldn't reproduce the
problem that you run into.  Here're several key step screenshots that I used
to create a Yocto Autotools based project and run autoconfig for it.
Step 1: Please refere preference.png for your "Yocto SDK" settings under
Window->Preference
Step 2: In c project, please make sure you select "Yocto SDK Project->Hello
World ANSI C Autotools Project" (please refer to project.png)
Step 3: reconfigure.png is the output when I do Project->"Reconfigure
Project".

If you still run into problem, go under Project->Invoke Yocto
Tools->Reconfigure Yocto, make sure the setting there is the same as your
settings under preference.  Then do step 3 again to reconfigure.

Hope this will get you going...

Thanks,
Jessica