For denzil, try with this by creating a new file in
meta-cedartrail/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto_3.2.bbappend.

FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/${PN}:"

SRC_URI_cedartrail-nopvr =
"git://git.yoctoproject.org/linux-yocto-3.2;protocol=git;nocheckout=1;branch=${KBRANCH},meta;name=machine,meta"

COMPATIBLE_MACHINE_cedartrail-nopvr = "cedartrail"
KMACHINE_cedartrail-nopvr  = "cedartrail"
KBRANCH_cedartrail-nopvr  = "yocto/standard/cedartrail"
KERNEL_FEATURES_append_cedartrail-nopvr += " cfg/smp.scc"

SRCREV_machine_pn-linux-yocto_cedartrail-nopvr ?=
"8b8cfaaab2b8d79ac56e8c9a85bad9ae7bca399c"
SRCREV_meta_pn-linux-yocto_cedartrail-nopvr ?=
"486f7aec824b4127e91ef53228823e996b3696f0"

Add these below lines to meta-cedartrail/conf/machine/cedartrail-nopvr.conf

PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/kernel ?= "linux-yocto"
PREFERRED_VERSION_linux-yocto ?= "3.2%"

Add  MACHINE = "cedartrail-nopvr" to your local.conf and build.

Ofcourse you should be adding your unionfs related stuff by some means either
by menuconfig or by creating .scc file.

Thanks
Kishore.