Elena

> On Jan 13, 2016, at 11:43 PM, Reshetova, Elena <elena.reshet...@intel.com>
> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have a small question about “exceptional” names of packages in yocto/OE.
> Kernel package is being one example with the name “linux-yocto” vs.
> traditional “linux_kernel”.

This just happens to be that Yocto project maintain a reference kernel and its
called linux-yocto just following the naming conventions that are in use for
kernel trees ( linux-<feature> ) e.g. linux-stable and so on
OE infra provides virtuals that we use to have pluggable kernels or other
packages e.g. virtual/kernel for kernel and there are other packages which are
using this mechanism too.

> Are there more such yocto-specific packages (of course excluding FW and other
> bsp-related packages)? A look over the package list didn’t reveal any, but I
> wanted to double check.

yocto project does have more tools e.g. cross-prelink etc. there is no general
naming convention of something-yocto for packages that project maintains
just check git.yoctoproject.org for number of components.

> The reason I am asking is that in case when we try to determine the package
> CVEs against the NVD database, in these particular exception cases, we
> probably want to check not only “linux-yocto”, but also “linux_kernel” open
> package CVEs with regards to specified version to make sure we cover as much
> as we can.

it probably is a general problem for end users since they may not use
linux-yocto to provide the kernel on system but some other name but in the end
they are kernels. may be some tooling to encode this in recipe would be good.