Because people love log4j and would be very upset if they couldn't use it.

-dain

On Mar 13, 2006, at 6:14 PM, Sakala, Adinarayana wrote:

How about using java.util.logging package for logging purposes?
I wonder why we have to choose a different logging mechanism when the capabilities are built into the JDK.

Adi

-----Original Message-----
From: Geir Magnusson Jr [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, March 12, 2006 8:20 AM
To: yoko-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: logging

How do the components of Sun's J2SE log things?  How does the
internal ORB?

That's they way Harmony will probably do it.

geir

Lars Kühne wrote:
Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

The only thing that I find questionable in the Geronimo coding
standard for yoko is the use of commons logging. For
example I'm not
convinced that j.c.l would work well when yoko is used inside
Harmony. I like the current dependency injection design
for loggers.
OpenORB uses something similar (avalon logkit), it works
just fine,
and I see none of the j.c.l classloader problems.

IIUC, log4j is the hands down favorite.  Does it suffer any of the
j.c.l classloader problems?

I don't think so, and personally I could live with log4j.
Geir is in a
much better position to answer that question for Harmony. I
would find
it odd if Harmony would include log4j.

Like most people these days, I like dependency injection,
and this is
what the current code does. Why not stick with it and just
change the
current Logger interface a bit (e.g. don't make it a CORBA
object, add
isDebugEnabled(), etc.)?

Lars