If everyone thinks dependency injection is cool, why isn't it cool for logging?

The avalon interface basically forces you to not use the Logger.getLogger(My.class) idiom, unlike slf4j. That limitation is a feature. It means that the log messages of two instances of the same class _and_their_submodules_ can be identified in the log file.

It can be pretty neat when you see an error message and you can identify that it was generated from the "geronimoStandardORB.connectionHandlerThreadPool" logger. With slf4j your only info would typically be "o.a.yoko.orb.ThreadPool" that might as well belong to a second ORB that has been instantiated by user code.

It's admittedly a bit more work to pass all those logger instances around than simply calling LoggerFactory.getLogger().

Regards,
Lars

Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

What's wrong w/ slf4j?