We need to reach a consensus on the logging approach we are going to use.

The most popular suggestions for logging seems to be these:

- JDK logging but with a LoggerFactory instead of calling Logger.getLogger directly (Dan's proposal). This should allow us to create a log4j wrapper or something else.

- Write our own logging interface.

- Use monitors, in combination with our own logging interface

- Use SLF4J.

Personally i think monitors could be very useful, but only for events that alter the state of the orb. I don't see why another application would want to monitor our low-level log messages. I think we should try to implement monitors when we know what sort of changes we want to monitor.

SLF4J would work for me, although I don't like adding a dependency on an external project.

Writing our own (simple) logging interface which allows plugging in JDK logging and log4j would also work for me.

Using JDK logging with a LoggerFactory to support wrappers would work for me too.

So JDK logging with a LoggerFactory or writing our own logging interface would both get a +1 from me. SLF4J would get a +0. Using monitors for daily logging gets a -1 from me, but as I understood Dain that was not his intention either.

Best regards,
Anders