On Jun 26, 2006, at 1:15 AM, Mika Borner wrote:

Hi

Now that Solaris 10 06/06 is finally downloadable I have some questions
about ZFS.

-We have a big storage sytem supporting RAID5 and RAID1. At the moment,
we only use RAID5 (for non-solaris systems as well). We are thinking
about using ZFS on those LUNs instead of UFS. As ZFS on Hardware RAID5
seems like overkill, an option would be to use RAID1 with RAID-Z. Then
again, this is a waist of space, as it needs more disks, due to the
mirroring. Later on, we might be using asynchronous replication to
another storage system using SAN, even more waste of space. This looks
somehow like storage virtualization as of today just doesn't work nicely
together. What we need, would be the feature to use JBODs.

If you've got hardware raid-5, why not just run regular (non-raid) pools on top of the raid-5?

I wouldn't go back to JBOD. Hardware arrays offer a number of advantages to JBOD:
        - disk microcode management
        - optimized access to storage
        - large write caches
        - RAID computation can be done in specialized hardware
- SAN-based hardware products allow sharing of storage among multiple hosts. This allows storage to be utilized more effectively.

-Does ZFS in the current version support LUN extension? With UFS, we
have to zero the VTOC, and then adjust the new disk geometry. How does
it look like with ZFS?

I don't understand what you're asking. What problem is solved by zeroing the vtoc?

-I've read the threads about zfs and databases. Still I'm not 100%
convenienced about read performance. Doesn't the fragmentation of the
large database files (because of the concept of COW) impact
read-performance?

This is discussed elsewhere in the zfs discussion group.

-Does anybody have any experience in database cloning using the ZFS
mechanism? What factors influence the performance, when running the
cloned database in parallel?
-I really like the idea to keep all needed databasefiles together, to
allow fast and consistent cloning.

Thanks

Mika

# mv Disclaimer.txt /dev/null

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ---
This message is intended for the addressee only and may
contain confidential or privileged information. If you
are not the intended receiver, any disclosure, copying
to any person or any action taken or omitted to be taken
in reliance on this e-mail, is prohibited and may be un-
lawful. You must therefore delete this e-mail.
Internet communications may not be secure or error-free
and may contain viruses. They may be subject to possible
data corruption, accidental or on purpose. This e-mail is
not and should not be construed as an offer or the
solicitation of an offer to purchase or subscribe or sell
or redeem any investments.

-----
Gregory Shaw, IT Architect
Phone: (303) 673-8273        Fax: (303) 673-2773
ITCTO Group, Sun Microsystems Inc.
1 StorageTek Drive ULVL4-382              [EMAIL PROTECTED] (work)
Louisville, CO 80028-4382                    [EMAIL PROTECTED] (home)
"When Microsoft writes an application for Linux, I've Won." - Linus Torvalds