Hello Philip,

PB> Erik Trimble wrote:
>>
>> Since the best way to get this is to use a Mirror or RAIDZ vdev, I'm
>> assuming that the proper way to get benefits from both ZFS and HW RAID
>> is the following:
>>
>> (1)  ZFS mirror of  HW stripes, i.e.  "zpool create tank mirror
>> hwStripe1 hwStripe2"
>> (2)  ZFS RAIDZ of HW mirrors, i.e. "zpool create tank raidz hwMirror1,
>> hwMirror2"
>> (3)  ZFS RAIDZ of  HW stripes, i.e. "zpool create tank raidz hwStripe1,
>> hwStripe2"
>>
>> mirrors of mirrors and raidz of raid5 is also possible, but I'm pretty
>> sure they're considerably less useful than the 3 above.
>>
>> Personally, I can't think of a good reason to use ZFS with HW RAID5;
>> case (3) above seems to me to provide better performance with roughly
>> the same amount of redundancy (not quite true, but close).
>>

PB> I almost regret extending this thread more :-) but I havent seen anyone
PB> spell out one thing in simple language, so i'll attempt to do that now.

PB> #2 is incredibly wasteful of space, so I'm not going to address it. it is
PB> highly redundant, that's great. if you need it, do it. I'm more concerned
PB> with the concept of

PB> zfs of two hardware raid boxes that have internal disk redundancy

PB> vs

PB> zfs of two hardware raid boxes that are pure stripes (raid 0)

PB> (doesnt matter if using zfs mirror vs raidz to me, for this aspect of
things)

PB> The point that I think people should remember, is that if you lose a drive
PB> in a pure raid0 configuration... your time to recover that hwraid unit and
PB> bring it back to full operation in the filesystem.. is HUGE.
PB> It will most likely be unacceptibly long.  hours if not days, for a decent
PB> sized raid box.

Not really.
You can create many smaller raid-0 luns in one array and then do
raid-10 in zfs. That should also expand your available depth queue
and minimize impact of resilvering. Storage capacity would still be
the same.

--
Best regards,
 Robert                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]