The solution that I am going to give you has worked on ufs and vxfs for me
and I do not see why it would not work on zfs.

Share out the directory that you are having problems with lets say /opt.
Once its shared mount it to /a. Then you can do the chmod on /a then umount
/a and you should have fixed the underlying  permissions problem.

If you have any questions just let me know.

Nick