I understand what you are saying and have had the same problem. I used the
fix that I mentioned to fix this problem on 2 of my production DB systems.

On 12/28/06, Jason Austin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I should clarify.  Say I have a zfs with the mount point /u00 that I
import on the system.  When it creates the /u00 directory on the UFS root,
it's created with 700, and then the zfs is mounted and it appears to have
the permissions of the root of the zfs.  755 in this case.

But, if a non-root user tries "cd .." while in /u00, they get a permission
denied because the /u00 directory is 700 even though it doesn't show those
permissions in ls and they are not changeable with chmod . The only way to
fix it is unmount /u00, chmod the mount point, and then remount.  That's
fine on my test system but in production where I've already started up my
database that people are using, I can't just shut everything down and
unmount the /u00 directory.

I probably wouldn't even have noticed this but bash seems to traverse up
the directory tree to determine CWD.  That creates an error (non fatal in
this case) in my oracle startup script that does a "su - oracle -c
"/u00/my/start/script.sh""

To reproduce, just unmount any zfs, chmod it's mount point to 700,
remount, and then try to "cd .." from a non-root user from the mount point
directory.