Jonathan Edwards wrote:

> On Mar 1, 2008, at 3:41 AM, Bill Shannon wrote:
>> Running just plain "iosnoop" shows accesses to lots of files, but none
>> on my zfs disk.  Using "iosnoop -d c1t1d0" or "iosnoop -m
>> /export/home/shannon"
>> shows nothing at all.  I tried /usr/demo/dtrace/iosnoop.d too, still
>> nothing.
>
> hi Bill
>
> this came up sometime last year .. io:::start won't work since ZFS
> doesn't call bdev_strategy() directly .. you'll want to use something
> more like zfs_read:entry, zfs_write:entry and zfs_putpage or zfs_getpage
> for mmap'd ZFS files

Ah ha!  Maybe someone should report this to the right people and get the
dtrace toolkit and dtrace demo programs fixed?

> here's one i hacked from our discussion back then to track some timings
> on files:
>
>  > cat zfs_iotime.d
>
> #!/usr/sbin/dtrace -s
>
> # pragma D option quiet
>
> zfs_write:entry,
> zfs_read:entry,
> zfs_putpage:entry,
> zfs_getpage:entry
> {
>        self->ts = timestamp;
>        self->filepath = args[0]->v_path;
> }
>
> zfs_write:return,
> zfs_read:return,
> zfs_putpage:return,
> zfs_getpage:return
> /self->ts && self->filepath/
> {
>        printf("%s on %s took %d nsecs\n", probefunc,
>                stringof(self->filepath), timestamp - self->ts);
>        self->ts = 0;
>        self->filepath = 0;
> }

Ok, that's much better!  At least I'm getting output when I touch files
on zfs.  However, even though zpool iostat is reporting activity, the
above program isn't showing any file accesses when the system is idle.

Any ideas?