Roland Mainz wrote:
> Bill Shannon wrote:
>> Roland Mainz wrote:
>>> What's the exact filename and how often are the accesses ? Is this an
>>> interactive shell or is this a script (an interactive shell session will
>>> do periodical lookups for things like the MAIL*-variables (see ksh(1)
>>> and ksh93(1) manual pages) while scripts may do random stuff as intended
>>> by the script's author(s)) ?
>>> And how does the output of $ set # look like ?
>> The filename is /home/shannon/.history.datsun, which is what I have
>> HISTFILE set to.  Again, it's doing setattr, which it shouldn't be doing
>> for $MAIL.  And, based on the dtrace output, the setattrs aren't at
>> any obvious period.
>
> Do you have an userland stacktrace for these setattr calls ?

No.  I want to do more testing to assure myself that that's really the
cause of my problem.  (Then someone will have to tell me how to get a
stacktrace using dtrace.)

>> Even stranger, despite the fact that I have something
>> like eight shells running, the calls are coming from a shell from which I
>> started another (superuser) shell, from which I'm running the dtrace
>> command.
>
> That sounds weired... is it possible that something in the interactive
> environment may cause this ?

Like what?

>> What is "set #"?
>
> "set" prints all shell variables (local, global, environment) to stdout
> including all their values... the '$' character was thought as shell
> prompt and the '#' character is the shell's  comment character to make
> sure that nothing gets executed past this point when someone is
> copy&pasting such lines from the email client to the terminal window...

Ya, I know about "set".  I couldn't figure out what you were asking for
since you didn't just ask for that.  I assumed it must've been a typo or
something.