On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 6:18 AM, Gary Mills <mi...@cc.umanitoba.ca> wrote:
> Should I file an RFE for this addition to ZFS?  The concept would be
> to run ZFS on a file server, exporting storage to an application
> server where ZFS also runs on top of that storage.  All storage
> management would take place on the file server, where the physical
> disks reside.  The application server would still perform end-to-end
> error checking but would notify the file server when it detected an
> error.

You could accomplish most of this by creating a iSCSI volume on the
storage server, then using ZFS with no redundancy on the application
server.

You'll have two layers for checksums, one on the storage server's
zpool and a second on the application server's filesystem. The
application server won't be able to notify the storage server that
it's detected a bad checksum, other than through retries, but can
write a user-space monitor that watches for ZFS checksum errors and
sends notification to the storage server.

To poke a hole in your idea: What if the app server does find an
error? What's the storage server to do at that point? Provided that
the storage server's zpool already has redundancy, the data written to
disk should already be exactly what was received from the client. If
you want to have the ability to recover from erorrs on the app server,
you should use a redundant zpool - Either a mirror or a raidz.

If you're concerned about data corruption in transit, then it sounds
like something akin to T10 DIF (which others mentioned) would fit the
bill. You could also tunnel the traffic over a transit layer such as
TLS or SSH that provides a measure of validation. Latency should be
fun to deal with however.

-B

--
Brandon High : bh...@freaks.com