Slack-Moehrle wrote:
Hi Erik,

I wasn't planning on using the 3Ware hardware RAID as I read that software RAID would be the way to go, I just have the cards for the fact I can plug 8 drives into each. I can't return, I got them used from a guy who did not know what they were used for for $50 each.
Do I have to do anything special to NOT use the 3ware hardware functionality?

-Jason
It's been awhile since I used one, but IIRC, without any special configuration, they present all drives to the OS in a JBOD-like mode, which is exactly what you want. If that's not what's happening, then you'll need to configure the controllers so that each disk is presented as a separate device (likely by making each disk a member of a 1-disk striped volume).

(of course, you can always eBay them and get the cash for what they're /really/ worth.) <wink>

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support