On 19/03/2010 17:19, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

On Fri, March 19, 2010 11:33, Darren J Moffat wrote:
On 19/03/2010 16:11, joerg.schill...@fokus.fraunhofer.de wrote:
Darren J Moffat<darr...@opensolaris.org>   wrote:

I'm curious, why isn't a 'zfs send' stream that is stored on a tape yet
the implication is that a tar archive stored on a tape is considered a
backup ?

You cannot get a single file out of the zfs send datastream.

I don't see that as part of the definition of a backup - you obviously
do - so we will just have to disagree on that.

I used to.  Now I think more in terms of getting it from a snapshot
maintained online on the original storage server.

Exactly! The single file retrieval due to user error case is best achieved by an automated snapshot system. ZFS+CIFS even provides Windows Volume Shadow Services so that Windows users can do this on their own.

The overall storage strategy has to include retrieving files lost due to
user error over some time period, whether that's months or years.  And
having to restore an entire 100TB backup to "spare disk" somewhere to get
one file is clearly not on.

Completely agree, no where was I suggesting that 'zfs send' out to tape should be the whole backup strategy. I even pointed to a presentation given at LOSUG that shows how someone is doing this.

I'll say it again: neither 'zfs send' or (s)tar is an enterprise (or even home) backup system on their own one or both can be components of the full solution.

--
Darren J Moffat