On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 5:32 AM, Chris Dunbar - Earthside, LLC <
cdun...@earthside.net> wrote:

> if I went with two? Finally, would I be better off with raidz2 or something
> else instead of the striped mirrored sets? Performance and fault tolerance
> are my highest priorities.

Performance and fault tolerance are somewhat conflicting.

You'll have good fault tolerance and performance using a wide raidz3 stripe,
eg: 12-disk raidz3 with a spare.

You'll have the best fault tolerance using small raidz3 stripes with a
spare, for instance 2 x 6-disk raidz3. This uses 50% of your disks for
redundancy.

You'll have slightly better performance and slightly worse fault tolerance
using raidz2 instead in both cases above. I would not recommend using raidz,
as it will offer almost no real fault tolerance with the size of drives
you're using.

You'll have your best performance and fault tolerance using 3-way mirrors,
but you sacrifice 2/3 of your disks to do it. Actually, I think that raidz3
is higher tolerance still, but the performance difference will be huge.

2-way mirrors is slightly worse for fault tolerance (below raidz2 I believe)
and good performance.

-B

--
Brandon High : bh...@freaks.com