On Wed, 2010-04-07 at 12:41 -0700, Jason S wrote:
> Ahh,
>
> Thank you for the reply Bob, that is the info i was after. It looks like i
> will be going with the 2 X 7 RaidZ2 option.
>
> And just to clarify as far as expanding this pool in the future my only
> option is to add another 7 spindle RaidZ2 array correct?
>
> Thanks for all the help guys !

You can add arbitrary-sized vdevs to a pool, but you can't add any
drives to an existing raidz[123] vdev. You can even add things like a
mirrored vdev to a pool consisting of several raidz[123] vdevs. :-)

Thus, it would certainly be possible to add, say, a 4-drive raidz1 to
your 2x7 pool.  It wouldn't perform quite the same as a 3x7 pool, but it
still would perform better than the 2x7 pool.

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support