On Apr 25, 2010, at 10:02 PM, Dave Pooser wrote:

> I'm building another 24-bay rackmount storage server, and I'm considering
> what drives to put in the bays. My chassis is a Supermicro SC846A, so the
> backplane supports SAS or SATA; my controllers are LSI3081E, again
> supporting SAS or SATA.
>
> Looking at drives, Seagate offers an enterprise (Constellation) 2TB 7200RPM
> drive in both SAS and SATA configurations; the SAS model offers one quarter
> the buffer (16MB vs 64MB on the SATA model), the same rotational speed, and
> costs 10% more than its enterprise SATA twin. (They also offer a Barracuda
> XT SATA drive; it's roughly 20% less expensive than the Constellation drive,
> but rated at 60% the MTBF of the others and a predicted rate of
> nonrecoverable errors an order of magnitude higher.)
>
> Assuming I'm going to be using three 8-drive RAIDz2 configurations, and
> further assuming this server will be used for backing up home directories
> (lots of small writes/reads), how much benefit will I see from the SAS
> interface?

For a single connection from a host to a disk, they are basically equivalent.
SAS shines with multiple connections to one or more hosts.  Hence, SAS
is quite popular when implementing HA clusters.

Note: drive differentiation is market driven, not technology driven.
 -- richard

ZFS storage and performance consulting at http://www.RichardElling.com
ZFS training on deduplication, NexentaStor, and NAS performance
Las Vegas, April 29-30, 2010 http://nexenta-vegas.eventbrite.com