On Tue, April 27, 2010 11:17, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Apr 2010, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
>>
>> I don't think I understand your scenario here.  The docs online at
>> <http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-5461/gazgd?a=view> describe uses
>> of
>> zpool replace that DO run the array degraded for a while, and don't seem
>> to mention any other.
>>
>> Could you be more detailed?
>
> If a disk has failed, then it makes sense to physically remove the old
> disk, insert a new one, and do 'zpool replace tank c1t1d0'.  However
> if the disk has not failed, then you can install a new disk in another
> location and use the two argument form of replace like 'zpool replace
> tank c1t1d0 c1t1d7'.  If I understand things correctly, this allows
> you to replace one good disk with another without risking the data in
> your pool.

I don't see any reason to think the old device remains in use until the
new device is resilvered, and if it doesn't, then you're down one level of
redundancy the instant the old device goes out of service.

I don't have a RAIDZ group, but trying this while there's significant load
on the group, it should be easy to see if there's traffic on the old drive
after the resilver starts.  If there is, that would seem to be evidence
that it's continuing to use the old drive while resilvering to the new
one, which would be good.

--
David Dyer-Bennet, d...@dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info