On Mon, October 25, 2010 08:38, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
>> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
>> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Ian Collins
>>
>> Sun hardware?  Then you get all your support from one vendor.
>
> +1
>
> Sun hardware costs more, but it's worth it, if you want to simply assume
> your stuff will work.  In my case, I'd say the sun hardware was approx 50%
> to 2x higher cost than the equivalent dell setup.

I agree with the general sentiment, but it can get prohibitive if you also
have a sizable DEV/QA/STG environment that you want to have the same as
PRD.

I don't mind gold-plated support for PRD, but for the rest, it'd be handy
budget-wise if Oracle simply had a basic parts-only warranty for hardware,
and a patches-only support for software. It's all we need for the majority
of our environment, but it no longer seems available under Larry Ellison's
watch.