> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC
>
> >> 1) The ZFS box offers a single iSCSI target that  exposes all the
> >> zvols as individual disks.  When the FreeBSD initiator finds it, it
> >> creates a separate disk for each zvol.  I assume if I have multiple
> >> FreeBSD machines connecting to this iSCSI target, as long as no
> >> individual zvol is mounted on more than 1 FreeBSD machine, the fact
> >> that a disk "exists" for each zvol on each FreeBSD machine is
> >> irrelevant and won't cause problems
> >
> > This is correct.
>
> A follow-on question.
>
> If the zvol (virtual disks) are mounted READ ONLY, is it possible to mount
it on
> multiple FreeBSD systems at the same time and access it for reading only
> from all the systems?  (With only one system having it R/W and that only
> being used occasionally when the new software needs to be installed for
the
> jails)?  What I want to do does not rely on this but could make things
easier
> for me...

Why are you sharing iscsi from nexenta to freebsd?  Wouldn't it be better
for nexenta to simply create zfs filesystems, and then share nfs?  Much more
flexible in a lot of ways.  Unless your design requirements require limiting
the flexibility intentionally...  I can't think of any reason you'd want to
do the iscsi thing from nexenta to freebsd.