On Dec 7, 2010, at 12:46 PM, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk <r...@karlsbakk.net> wrote:

>> Bear a few things in mind:
>>
>> iops is not iops.
> <snip/>
>
> I am totally aware of these differences, but it seems some people think RAIDz
> is nonsense unless you don't need speed at all. My testing shows (so far)
> that the speed is quite good, far better than single drives. Also, as Eric
> said, those speeds are for random i/o. I doubt there is very much out there
> that is truely random i/o except perhaps databases, but then, I would never
> use raid5/raidz for a DB unless at gunpoint.

Well besides databases there are VM datastores, busy email servers, busy ldap
servers, busy web servers, and I'm sure the list goes on and on.

I'm sure it is much harder to list servers that are truly sequential in IO then
random. This is especially true when you have thousands of users hitting it.

-Ross