On Thu, 2011-04-28 at 14:33 -0700, Brandon High wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 9:26 PM, Edward Ned Harvey
> <opensolarisisdeadlongliveopensola...@nedharvey.com> wrote:
> > Correct me if I'm wrong, but the dedup sha256 checksum happens in addition
> > to (not instead of) the fletcher2 integrity checksum.  So after bootup,
>
> My understanding is that enabling dedup forces sha256.
>
> "The default checksum used for deduplication is sha256 (subject to
> change). When dedup is enabled, the dedup checksum algorithm overrides
> the checksum property."
>
> -B
>

>From the man page for zfs(1)

 dedup=on | off | verify | sha256[,verify]

         Controls  whether  deduplication  is  in  effect  for  a
         dataset.  The default value is off. The default checksum
         used for deduplication is sha256  (subject  to  change).
         When  dedup  is  enabled,  the  dedup checksum algorithm
         overrides the checksum property. Setting  the  value  to
         verify is equivalent to specifying sha256,verify.

         If the property is set to  verify,  then,  whenever  two
         blocks  have the same signature, ZFS will do a byte-for-
         byte comparison with the existing block to  ensure  that
         the contents are identical.

This is from b159.

A careful reading of the man page seems to imply that there's no way to
change the dedup checksum algorithm from sha256, as the dedup property
ignores the checksum property, and there's no provided way to explicitly
set a checksum algorithm specific to dedup (i.e. there's no way to
override the default for dedup).

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support