On Mar 29, 2012, at 4:33 AM, Borja Marcos wrote:

> On Mar 29, 2012, at 11:59 AM, Ian Collins wrote:
>
>> Does zfs receive produce any warnings?  Have you tried adding -v?
>
> Thank you very much Ian and Carsten. Well, adding a -v gave me a clue. Turns
> out that one of the old snapshots had a clone created.
>
> zfs receive -v  was complaining that it couldn't destroy an old snapshot,
> which wasn't visible but had been cloned (and forgotten) long ago. A truss of
> the zfs receive process shown it accessing the clone.
>
> So, zfs receive was doing its job, the new snapshot was applied correctly,
> but it was exiting with an exit value of 1, without printing any warnings,
> which I think is wrong.

You are correct. Both zfs and zpool have a bad case of "exit 1 if something
isn't right."
At Nexenta, I filed a bug against the ambiguity of the return code. You should
consider
filing a similar bug with Oracle. In the open-source ZFS implementations, there
is some
other work to get out of the way before properly tackling this, but that work
is in progress :-)

> I've destroyed  the clone and everything  has gone back to normal. Now zfs
> receive exits with 0.
>
> Still I'm not sure if it could be a bug, the snapshot was cloned in November
> 2011 and it had been sitting around for a long time. The pool had less than
> 20 % of free space two days ago, maybe it triggered something.
>
> Anyway, as I said, with the clone removed everything has gone back to normal.

good!

> Thank you very much,
>
> Borja.

 -- richard