I appreciate everybody's feedback, but I am still unclear on how to proceed.
Here is a little more information about my setup. Specifically, here is my
zpool status:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
tank DEGRADED 0 0 0
mirror-0 ONLINE 0 0 0
c10t0d0 ONLINE 0 0 0
c11t0d0 ONLINE 0 0 0
mirror-1 ONLINE 0 0 0
c10t1d0 ONLINE 0 0 0
c11t1d0 ONLINE 0 0 0
mirror-2 ONLINE 0 0 0
c10t2d0 ONLINE 0 0 0
c11t2d0 ONLINE 0 0 0
mirror-3 ONLINE 0 0 0
c10t3d0 ONLINE 0 0 0
c11t3d0 ONLINE 0 0 0
mirror-4 DEGRADED 0 0 0
c10t4d0 ONLINE 0 0 0
spare-1 DEGRADED 0 0 0
c11t4d0 REMOVED 0 0 0
c10t6d0 ONLINE 0 0 0
logs
mirror-5 ONLINE 0 0 0
c10t5d0 ONLINE 0 0 0
c11t5d0 ONLINE 0 0 0
cache
c8d1 ONLINE 0 0 0
spares
c10t6d0 INUSE currently in use

In the past I have physically replaced the failed drive and then run these
commands:

# zpool replace tank c11t4d0
# zpool clear tank

In this situation I would like to know if I can hold off on physically
replacing the drive. Is there a safe method to test it or put it back into
service and see if it fails again?

Thank you,
Chris