Stefan H. Holek wrote:

My take is that it's not the TAL features (tal:define, python:, whatever) that invite misuse, but the available namespaces.

I have ported ZPT to Django [1][2] and found the experience surprisingly refreshing. Django naturally does not have anything like "container" or "context" in the Zope sense. And by Django policy, templates don't even get to see the "request". The namespace Zope PTs call "options" becomes the sole, top-level namespace in Django PTs.

This very effectively keeps me from pulling-in anything not provided by the view in the first place. Everything -- even functions I want to call in, say, conditions -- has to be added by the view. The result is clean and fast templates.

Stefan

[1] http://www.djangoproject.com
[2] http://zope.org/Members/shh/DjangoPageTemplates/1.0.2/readme.txt

Yes, that's true, the thread later evolved towards the same conclusion (removing "namespaces" in TAL). If the template needs to pull data from different objects, tools or databases directly, then the template/view is doing the job of the model.

However the opposite is also true:
the model should not do the job of the view and send information about how data should be formatted:

for instance, the model can specify that an item is selected:

  items: [{'id': 1, 'selected': true}]

but not:

  items: [{'id': 1, 'font-style': 'bold'}]

for that matter, "python: " expressions are important to keep in order to be able to map 'selected' to 'font-style: bold' (which is pure presentation logic).

"tal:define" is OK if it handles presentation data that only the template/view is concerned with.

/JM