From: accessindia@accessindia.org.in [mailto:accessindia@accessindia.org.in] On
Behalf Of Cauvery Krishna
Sent: Tuesday, May 7, 2024 9:52 AM
To: accessindia@accessindia.org.in
Subject: [AI] Why do people say these things to the blind? And what can be done
for the same?

These are some of the experiences had by one of my  students of which I don't
have an answer. Could you please help me.

1. Di, I am a visually impaired  MBA student, pursuing MBA from an IIM. I was
with a senior at the grocery store of our campus, i waited as the senior got
ice cream for both of us. The shopkeeper said, "inko bolo kal aane k liye, kal
meri taraf se mai inko kuch dunga. Ice cream ya juice kuch dunga meri taraf
se." Which roughly translates to, "ask him to come tomorrow, I'll give him an
ice cream or juice from my side." So the question is why would the shopkeeper
have said the same? I am an MBA student, I was wearing clean clothes, I was
holding a forty thousand rupees phone in one hand and a white stick in the
other hand. I don't understand did he think I can't afford a Rs 50 ice cream? I
am paying the equal amount of fees but upon my survey he never said anything
like this to any of the sighted or non disabled students. Why was the ice cream
? For merely being blind?

2.  Di, one of my batchmates said, "how is the preparation for the exams going?
Do one thing, come let me teach you, I'll get punya by teaching you." Why is
it? Why can't people with blindness just exist? What is this attachment of
punya if we help the blind we'll get punya? Are we humans or some divine
entity. If you don't get punya by helping or teaching a sighted or a non
disabled person then why punya from the blind?

Please suggest how I can help my student, as clearly, she is in a lot of stress
by these experiences.

Regards.

Cauvery She/her.

to accessindia+unsubscr...@accessindia.org.in