Hi Mark

Mark St.Godard wrote:

I can exclude the samples/attributes project to get around the Java 5 compile issues, we discussed before.

That is fine. The samples/annotations should also be excluded from the auto-build, as we don't want users to be forced to have Java 5 to do a basic build of core and the Contacts Sample.

Basically, we will require Java 5 to build from the /samples/contacts dir... To do a full build of Acegi, we require Java 5 (for domain and core-tiger).. just wanted to make sure that this is ok
for the samples as well.

I believe we need to maintain Java 1.3 compatibility in the base/default build. I would therefore prefer if the base Contacts Sample did not use annotations.

or if this should be in a completely separate project ala.. acegisecurity/samples/contacts/
acegisecurity/samples/contacts-annotations/

Maybe a Maven expert (Carlos, Luke?) could have a look at how we could share the code between the Contacts 1.3 and Contacts 5 Java versions more elegantly. A few ideas come to mind, such as a new samples/contacts/src/main/webapp/tiger directory to hold the config, and the 1.5-compatible ContactManager named in a manner that excludes it from the compilation but a separate postGoal will compile it if 1.5 is detected.

One thing concerning me about the Contacts Sample more generally is how difficult it is for new users to follow. I think there is an argument to add a new sample that just uses filter security - without any method or ACL security. Such a sample might also double as a performance benchmark to compare Acegi Security performance with servlet spec managed constraints.

Cheers