Hi Ben,

Yeah I agree.. lets keep the base build and Contacts sample JDK 1.3 compatible.

I think I could create another sample subproject and just do some simple Ant build.xml stuff to
reuse the actual source code in the (regular) contacts example.

Ok thats I need to continue with this...

/contacts/ <regular contacts JDK 1.3>
/contacts-tiger/ <Java 5 annotations version>

How does that sound?

Regarding a new sample app.. I agree.. I think we need something easier to follow.
To have something that uses some simple filters, config, etc...
would ...(get ready for it)... the Spring petstore be too simple (or done to death :) ?
Or one of the other Spring samples?... might be a natural progression to show
security applied to it.    Just a thought.

Let me know if you need any help with it.

Cheers

Mark

On 9/24/05, Ben Alex <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi Mark

Mark St.Godard wrote:

> I can exclude the samples/attributes project to get around the Java 5
> compile issues, we discussed before.

That is fine. The samples/annotations should also be excluded from the
auto-build, as we don't want users to be forced to have Java 5 to do a
basic build of core and the Contacts Sample.

> Basically, we will require Java 5 to build from the /samples/contacts
> dir...
>
> To do a full build of Acegi, we require Java 5 (for domain and
> core-tiger).. just wanted to make sure that this is ok
> for the samples as well.

I believe we need to maintain Java 1.3 compatibility in the base/default
build. I would therefore prefer if the base Contacts Sample did not use
annotations.

> or if this should be in a completely separate project ala..
>
> acegisecurity/samples/contacts/
> acegisecurity/samples/contacts-annotations/

Maybe a Maven expert (Carlos, Luke?) could have a look at how we could
share the code between the Contacts 1.3 and Contacts 5 Java versions
more elegantly. A few ideas come to mind, such as a new
samples/contacts/src/main/webapp/tiger directory to hold the config, and
the 1.5-compatible ContactManager named in a manner that excludes it
from the compilation but a separate postGoal will compile it if 1.5 is
detected.

One thing concerning me about the Contacts Sample more generally is how
difficult it is for new users to follow. I think there is an argument to
add a new sample that just uses filter security - without any method or
ACL security. Such a sample might also double as a performance benchmark
to compare Acegi Security performance with servlet spec managed constraints.

Cheers