Hi Matthias,
We would, of course, love for you to do both :)
At the very least open a Jira for the enhancement.

The OpenID support is limited to authorization simply due to my own
time constraints. I would definitely be interested in taking the next
steps with OpenID.

I had hoped to begin working on those specs soon. I just haven't been
able to get started. Excuses excuses...