In theory an IP address can be faked or the attacker and victim might
be behind the same NAT address, so it is not completely reliable.

Spring Security's SessionFixationProtectionFilter  invalidates the
session and creates a new one when the it detects that an
authentication has taken place:

http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Session_Fixation_in_Java

--
SpringSource
http://www.springsource.com

Registered in England and Wales: No. 5187766 Registered Office: A2
Yeoman Gate, Yeoman Way, Worthing, West Sussex. BN13 3QZ.