The main reason Session ID-IP address correlation is infrequently used
is due to changes in IP addresses; namely, the AOL Proxy
(http://webmaster.info.aol.com/proxyinfo.html) makes this difficult
for widespread, Internet-facing applications

Luke is right about IP spoofing, although this can still have some
value since the attacker will not receive responses sent back from the
server (unless they have successfully attacked the network/can sniff
traffic sent to the victim).

Hope this helps,

Rohit Sethi
Manager, Security Compass