On Fri, Apr 26, 2024, 1:02 PM Ken Hohhof <khoh...@kwom.com> wrote:

> And I'm still using AGM batteries while all the cool kids are using
> LiFePO4 with BCMs, so definitely don't listen to me.

The more I learn about lithium batteries, the more I feel that lithium has
relatively few advantages for standby applications.

My most recent knowledge acquisition is the fact that if you want to
shorten the life of a lithium battery the best way to do so is to keep it
fully charged.   The higher the average state of charge,  the shorter the
life of the battery, although admitted there isn't much change in lifetime
between about 20% and 80%.   But keeping them at 100% isn't great.

If you want to store a lithium battery without charging,  it's best to drop
the charge below 80% then store.

In a standby application you really want to keep a battery at 100% which
shortens it's life greatly.   A better choice would be to keep it at 80%
max but then you have other issues, not to mention the fact you now have to
buy a bigger battery array.