Tesla is recommending this because LFP has a very flat discharge curve, so
it is difficult to know the state of charge just from the battery voltage.
In order to provide an accurate battery meter, they have to do coulomb
counting (or some similar method) which keeps track of energy in and out of
the battery.  In theory (and to some extent, in practice), this will allow
them to know exactly how much energy is left in the battery, and provide a
correct "percentage or miles left" indication.

Where reality diverges from theory is the fact that it is impossible to be
100% accurate when counting coulombs. As a result, one has to reset the
coulomb counter to match the state of charge of the battery every once in a
while so the gauge is accurate. For LFP batteries, the easiest way to do
this is to charge the batteries to 100% charge. This is a tradeoff Tesla
has made between being able to have a reliable battery gauge and having a
battery which lasts as long as possible. I can definitely see the reasoning
behind Tesla choosing the reliable battery gauge since I think I would be
pissed if I got stranded because I thought I had plenty of range left when
I didn't.