One nifty way to do this, with a lot less effort than writing a custom
map view, is to use Google's v3 map API within a webview. I've done
this in the app "What Zip Code?" (free on the market) with a custom
overlay and it works great. For those that already understand how to
write html, JavaScript and CSS, this is a valid and fairly easy to
accomplish method.

You'll still have to use standard Android code to get your position or
access any of the sensors, but that's fairly trivial compared to
writing a custom mapview, at least in my opinion.

-John Coryat