Yes, for example here is the declaration in the activity of Market that
handles the user clicking on an Android Market URI link:

        <activity android:name=".activities.AppsUrlHandlerActivity">
            <intent-filter>
                <action android:name="android.intent.action.VIEW" />
                <category android:name="android.intent.category.DEFAULT" />
                <category android:name="android.intent.category.BROWSABLE"
/>

                <data android:scheme="http"
                    android:host="market.android.com" android:pathPrefix=
"/details" />
                <data android:scheme="http"
                    android:host="market.android.com" android:pathPrefix=
"/apps" />
                <data android:scheme="http"
                    android:host="market.android.com" android:pathPrefix=
"/search" />

                <data android:scheme="https"
                    android:host="market.android.com" android:pathPrefix=
"/details" />
                <data android:scheme="https"
                    android:host="market.android.com" android:pathPrefix=
"/apps" />
                <data android:scheme="https"
                    android:host="market.android.com" android:pathPrefix=
"/search" />

            </intent-filter>
        </activity>

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 8:23 PM, Syner <idesignsgr...@aol.com> wrote:

> is there a way to add a 'custom url scheme' to an Android app that
> when a user goes to a certain http:// url in the web browser it will
> open the app?
>
> i need functionality that is the same as this on Android.
>
> http://iphonedevelopertips.com/cocoa/launching-your-own-application-via-a-custom-url-scheme.html
>
> Any ideas?

Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer