my mistake
I'm meaning the Activity that the intent  calls/starts

public class display extends Activity {
    @Override
        super.onCreate(savedInstanceState);
        fName = CURRENT_IMAGE;
        setContentView(R.layout.image_viewer);

getWindow().setFlags(WindowManager.LayoutParams.FLAG_HARDWARE_ACCELERATED , WindowManager.LayoutParams.FLAG_HARDWARE_ACCELERATED);

        parent = (FrameLayout) findViewById(R.id.image);
        parent.setLayerType(View.LAYER_TYPE_HARDWARE, null);
Log.e("display", "parent      is  " + parent.isHardwareAccelerated());
        video  = (VideoView) findViewById(R.id.video);
Log.e("display", "1) video    is  " + video.isHardwareAccelerated());

both parent and video  return  FALSE ,  How do I get them too return true ?
I'm under the impression getWindow  and  setLayerType   would do it

Thanks in advance