On 2/04/22 16:07, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
On Fri, Apr 1, 2022 at 10:27 PM Richard Hector <rich...@walnut.gen.nz> wrote:

Hi all,

Currently my inventory is stored in the same git repo as my play(book)s,
roles etc, which I don't like.

Consider using git submodules if you want a unified workspace.

Hmm. I got thoroughly confused by submodules last time I tried them. And didn't Linus say he regretted having devised them in the first place?

Is there an easy way to have a non-unified workspace, so that I can use separate repos more easily?

Cheers,
Richard

What are common ways to avoid this? Perhaps keep inventory in a subdir
which is .gitignored, and make that a separate repo?

I also want to keep data which is not strictly inventory - eg lists of
users, ssh keys etc which are specific to my site/business, but shared
across many hosts and groups. I think I need to use lookups to access
this. Perhaps that data and inventory can go together in that other repo?

eg:

/home/richard/ansible/
   .git/
     .gitignore (ansible/data)
   .ansible.cfg
   /data
     .git/
     /inventory
       hosts
       /host_vars
       /group_vars
     users.yml
   /plays
   /roles

Does that seem reasonable?

That way, if (when) I have questions in the future, I can refer you all
to my ansible repo without sharing the private data :-)

Are there better ways to do this?

Cheers,
Richard

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ansible-project/c0b602a7-b40e-7254-f153-c98a49dd3046%40walnut.gen.nz.