Hi all,

Currently my inventory is stored in the same git repo as my play(book)s, roles etc, which I don't like.

What are common ways to avoid this? Perhaps keep inventory in a subdir which is .gitignored, and make that a separate repo?

I also want to keep data which is not strictly inventory - eg lists of users, ssh keys etc which are specific to my site/business, but shared across many hosts and groups. I think I need to use lookups to access this. Perhaps that data and inventory can go together in that other repo?

eg:

/home/richard/ansible/
  .git/
    .gitignore (ansible/data)
  .ansible.cfg
  /data
    .git/
    /inventory
      hosts
      /host_vars
      /group_vars
    users.yml
  /plays
  /roles

Does that seem reasonable?

That way, if (when) I have questions in the future, I can refer you all to my ansible repo without sharing the private data :-)

Are there better ways to do this?

Cheers,
Richard