It is definitely a good idea to check the system journal.  If something
wrong is recorded there, there are likely many instances logged to cause
hours of unexpected delay.

I find it better to use ssh to connect to my RPi than to suffer its slow
graphics performance.  Time information for a 'dnf upgrade" today on my
RPi (that included installation of the 4.14.14-300.fc27 kernel) appears
below.

After the upgrade, a second run (with nothing to upgrade) takes 18 to 19
seconds of elapsed time.

I use a 32GB Samsung EVO memory card in my RPi.  This data tells you what
I experience, to compare with your own system.

[root@rpi3-1 ryniker]# time dnf upgrade
Last metadata expiration check: 0:46:01 ago on Wed Jan 24 08:10:39 2018.
Dependencies resolved.
Installing dependencies:
 gdbm-devel                          armv7hl 1:1.13-6.fc27       updates   63 k
Removing:
 kernel                              armv7hl 4.14.8-300.fc27     @updates   0
 kernel-core                         armv7hl 4.14.8-300.fc27     @updates  89 M
 kernel-modules                      armv7hl 4.14.8-300.fc27     @updates  17 M