I removed the suspect SD card from the RPi3 and tested it in my laptop.

# hdparm -Tt /dev/mmcblk0

/dev/mmcblk0:
Timing cached reads:   15750 MB in  2.00 seconds = 7893.74 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads:  88 MB in  3.05 seconds =  28.82 MB/sec   <---
This was 365 kB/sec in the RPi3.

It seems to test OK in the laptop.  Bad connection in the RPi3 ?

So I prepared a second class 10 SD card with the same image. I tested it in
the laptop that I used to prepare it.

# hdparm -Tt /dev/mmcblk0

/dev/mmcblk0:
Timing cached reads:   15908 MB in  2.00 seconds = 7973.32 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads:  54 MB in  3.05 seconds =  17.71 MB/sec

The second SD is actually slower to read than the first one, in the
laptop.   28.82 versus 17.71 MB/sec

I booted the 2nd SD card in the RPi3.

# hdparm -Tt /dev/mmcblk0

/dev/mmcblk0:
Timing cached reads:   816 MB in  2.00 seconds 408.21 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads:  66 MB in  3.03 seconds =  21.81 MB/sec  <---
Faster than it was in the laptop !

#time dnf update - install 32 packages, update 275, just like last time

I ran #time dnf update and stopped it at 47 packages.

real: 30m46.181s
user: 0.00s
sys:  0m.020s

I retested the SD card and got the same read speeds as above.