On Monday 02 November 2009 06:49:48 Bernhard Dippold wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to collect here the topics and thoughts you want me to take
> with me to Orvieto and discuss them with the community (at least with
> the people interested in my session on Friday morning 9:00 - 9:45h [1]).
>
> I think we should discuss:
> - the advantages and disadvantages of the present logo
> - the reasons why we started to collect ideas for a new logo
> - the necessity for a more general art and branding project (including
> the other relevant projects)
> - how we should start / find the people to work on the new project
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> Please specify your thoughts with regard to the points above...
>
> Best regards
>
> Bernhard

First a few positives:

1)  The present Logo has served us well
2)  For all of the frequent whines at it's "Clumsiness" in normal
conversation, "OpenOffice.org" has been and will remain being an excellent
Brand
3)  The differentiation between StarOffice and OOo is now becoming more
obvious in the minds of our corporate partners, the very cool result of this
is a much higher profile of corporate staffers on the lists and a consequent
much stronger connection to the community
4) The a...@marketing project is stronger than at first appears evidenced by
the response that significant tasks engender.

A new Logo the reasons:

1)  Next year is the 10 year anniversary of OOo, by my rough calculations we
should have hit 200 million downloads of 3 considering the download rates
remain at present levels without any upwards curve, and in fact the liklihood
of hitting and passing the Quarter Billion mark is high

2) 4.0 is coming and if the ideas flying about in the Renaissance project and
the UX lists is anything to go by, it is going to be a serious advance

These are significant milestones that give us the opportunity to leverage a
new look to our branding.
The  new look website has been a success in terms of our face to the
community.
There will be an expectation in the market for something significant to
recognise 10 years, what better way than to launch a brand new logo and a
brand new image.

Past experience has shown us that high profile work  (Splashscreens and so
forth) bring people out of the woodwork, however there is not a constant
workflow and so many of those people disappear.  This means they are not
immersed in the culture and the community.  This has the result that often
work submitted completely ignores conventions, history and corporate
identity.  This has the result that "Community" sourced artwork is perceived
as somehow not up to standard and is consequently ignored and this attitude
then extends to all people involved in the Art project.  The most recent
manifestation of this was the "ODF Icon" debacle.

From my point of view, while ODF icons should be an option, making sure that
OOo specific icons are on users desktops is more important from a OOo centric
perspective.  I would like to see community sourced iconsets available as
extensions and iconsets that are installed as default should, at the very
least, be approved by the community.  I would like to see the Art project as
a standalone project where it is first stop for any art requirements related
to the whole project, including the NLCs, that way we could bring onboard
artists who are working only for a single NLC at the moment.

People will come if there are the opportunities to contribute in a significant
manner, logos, iconsets, campaign materials, webart and so on

Cheers
GL

--
Graham Lauder,