Hi Brian, all,

I'm back again from Hamburg, but will post about the meeting tomorrow...

For now just a few remarks regarding your new web buttons, Brian:

Brian Coale schrieb:
[...] I posted some new "Glass" web buttons here:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Art/Gallery/WebButtons#Brian_Coale
> for anyone who wanted a nice fancy button on their site showing
their support for OpenOffice.org.

The buttons really look fancy and glassy, but you already mentioned:

[...] they don't follow the standard design and colors of much of the
marketing material,

You know that we try to strengthen the visual impression of OpenOffice.org by reproducing the same look and feel in every representation of our product and our project. Even if your buttons look good, they don't provide the positive recognition of the product - mainly because of the colors differing quite a lot from the blue tone of our logo or the application colors from the icons.

but what I've noticed is that many, many web buttons out there (for
many different products) only loosely follow branding guidelines.

You are totally right, most of our web buttons don't respect the idea of a unique OOo branding - they are quite old, but we didn't have newer ones. But this doesn't mean that we don't want to have a strong branding and a good recognition by our users.

I added the standard information about official and additional galleries to the wiki page, but even if the "official" buttons are very much outdated, I'm thinking about adding another, more stronger suggestion to use the official ones to the page.

As it will hopefully not take too much time to come to a consistent branding for OOo, I don't want new "official" buttons to be created now - we need to define the style before.

However, the OOo logo is unaltered

The smallest logo doesn't contain the gulls - without them the logo is modified in a way the trademark holder doesn't want to see in public (neither do I ;-) )

except for being reverse-type,
which is typical usage for logos shown over dark backgrounds.

White logos are possible on dark monochrome background, for colored background the colored logos (on dark: white&blue) should be used. I can hardly read your logos, I'm quite sure that this is caused by the small difference in brightness between the logo colors and the text.

Also
I've used slogans I've seen on other marketing materials I've seen
around the project. Whether or not these are official slogans, I
don't know.

The present official slogan is "Open. For Business", but it has been established in 2006 IIRC. Other slogans are even older, so we need to define a slogan fitting with our new position in market, our anniversary and other parts of the main marketing strategy. It's a pity that neither this strategy nor a resulting slogan has been considered on the general marketing mailing list d...@marketing.openoffice.org. But the active people in the marketing project don't have had the time to do so...

I've offered them in dark gray and blue, other colors are available
upon request.

The only color that might fit with our goals could be the dark blue (RGB 6,52,140) from our logo.

Let me know what you think, comments, criticism and faint praise are
welcomed!

Sorry for not being totally positive, but I'm driven by the thought of a general branding effort. When we come to a decision about the branding project, there will be a lot to do in order to define and establish the artwork we want to be supported.

Please join this effort too!

Best regards

Bernhard