Thanks Greyhat.  They're windows DNS servers (I know, I know.  No choice).

This is getting outside of the scope of ASSP now for SURE.  I think I have
narrowed down the problem, and it IS something with our DNS resolution.

DNS seems really fast except when doing a PTR lookup for an IP that has DNS
servers that refuse the query.  It can then take upwards of 8 seconds for
my dns servers to ultimately reply:

*** [127.0.0.1] can't find x.x.x.x.in-addr.arpa.: Server failed

Can't think of why this is.  Who knows, maybe it was always like this.