:: On Mon, 9 Nov 2015 12:36:00 +0100
:: <20151109123600.00003...@gmx.net>
:: Grayhat <gray...@gmx.net> wrote:

> No, ok, seriously, sounds like Thomas fixed it with #15313; as for the
> feature, the idea is to attempt protecting the mail system from bots
> attempting to abuse stolen credentials to pump out spam; ASSP already
> has a rate limiter which helps detecting "mass mailing", slowing them
> down and alerting the admin but, till now, ASSP had no way to deal
> with a flock of bots with a bunch of different IPs authenticating
> using some stolen credentials and sending (say) 1 or 2 messages each;
> both issues can now be taken care of using the new feature :)

hmmm... maybe I'm wrong, but after a quick eyeball at the code it
sounds like the "$AUTHUserIPfrequency" only works with *FAILED* auth
attempts while, to be effective it should work with *successful* ones
so that, if a given user account gets successful authentication from a
number of different IPs in less than a given time T, then we could
assume that the account got compromised and is being abused by bots,
but the above makes sense only if the check is performed on *valid*
auth not on errors