Sorry for my delayed reply (managed only to see your reply on the
Sourceforge archives since they don't do SRS and Gmail is now rejecting
your messages sent through them).

I'm also sorry that I wasn't more clear in my request.  In my Groups
definition, I include external files like this:

[GROUP-CONSTANTCONTACT-IPS]
# include IP-Lists/IPS-constantcontact.com.cfg

For this example, the file IPS-constantcontact.com.cfg gets updated by a
little script that queries the IP's that constant contact uses, by doing a
recursive search of this provider's SPF record.  It just puts the IP's in a
text file, ASSP detects the change, and uses them. GREAT and works nicely
for me.    Now I'm noticing though that ASSP is also encrypted by ASSP
after loading them.   Maybe it's always done this, but I've never noticed
this before the other day.

If this file were to be needed elsewhere, that would be a problem - of
course we could have the program that generates the file generate two, one
for assp that will be encrypted, the other for use by whatever other
program needs it.

I'm asking more out of curiosity than practicality at this point, but I
want to understand as much as possible.

I take security VERY seriously, but at the same time know that encrypted
config files can cause problem if you've got a disaster recovery situation
that you need to undertake.  I like the idea of encryption in concept, but
if we're dealing with config files that are only accessible via a
compromised machine, we'd have bigger problems if they became
accessible...  No?