On Thu, 20 Jan 2011, Danny Nicholas wrote:

All Asterisk prompts are configurable with a little legwork.  Simply use the CLI to see what is playing at the point you want to change, then set up this little ditty to override it.  Say you wanted to record the “canned” tt-weasels prompt (“Weasels have eaten our phone system”).  This 3-liner lets you re-record it.

-          exten => 999,1,answer
-          exten => 999,n,record(tt-weasels.gsm)
-          exten => 999,n,hangup

If you are using a codec other than gsm you would replace gsm with wav, slin, etc.

Another technique is to fiddle with the LANGUAGE channel variable. For example (off the top of my head):

        exten = s,n,            set(CHANNEL(language)=mike)
        exten = s,n,            playback(agent-intro)

Then, record /var/lib/asterisk/sounds/agent-intro.wav to be something generic like "Hi. I don't know what my name is, but your call is exceedingly valuable to us" and /var/lib/asterisk/sounds/mike/agent-intro.wav to be something more specific like "Hi. My name is Mike and I specialize in sounding sincere even when I really don't care. I am extremely sorry you have to wait these brief moments until I am able to provide you with exceptional service today or tomorrow depending on the length of our call queue, you know?"

--
Thanks in advance,
Steve Edwards       sedwa...@sedwards.com      Voice: +1-760-468-3867 PST