Richard,

At 12:11 PM 3/10/2004, you wrote:
>>The proof of the correctness of those assertions would require some considerable
>>evidence.<<

Evidence that words and concepts are not the same? Isn't that statement based on
simple face validity? Two people can both use the word "freedom." For one person, the
term might represent the concept of "freedom from corporate oppression" (the
elimination of capitalism). For another, it could reflect a belief in economic
liberalism (laissez-faire capitalism).

In order to appreciate these differences, one needs to understand what was in the mind
of the speaker or writer. We can approach that level of knowledge through
contextualization and epoche (phenomenological reduction). However, merely basing
one's understanding on the spoken or written word, without deep reflection and a
consideration of context, will likely lead to literalism and confusion.

>>Somehow I feel a certain fondness for "fundamentalists".  They are looking for the
>>irreducible, the solid rock upon which to build their house of faith.  I daresay
>>such an effort is commendable.<<

Intriguing. I would say petrified rock, not solid rock. I find little to commend in
most of the fundamentalisms I have studied. Do you feel the same way about the Baha'i
fundamentalisms?

>>Yes indeed that is true for many of them.  However, the ministers, pastors, etc. of
>>many of them deplore the lack of understanding of their people regarding the
>>development of their own Faith and its meaning.  Some ministers and priests with
>>whom I have had the privilege of speaking, seem to find themselves in a web of
>>contradictions from which they cannot extricate themselves.  The situation is
>>distressing for all.<<

I would say that it depends on whether the minister is a fundamentalist, a
conservative neo-evangelical Christian, a moderate (or liberal) neo-evangelical
Christian, a liberal Christian, or something else. The closer people come to
fundamentalism, the less likely they are to recognize these contradictions.

>>Can one bear to recognize that the foundation of one's belief is error?<<

It can certainly be a test.

Mark A. Foster * Portal: http://MarkFoster.net
CompuServe: http://boards.M.Foster.name